четверг, 14 ноября 2019 г.

14.11.2019 *

Wish + (that) + past simple:
We can use 'wish' to talk about something that we would like to be different in the present or the future. It's used for things which are impossible or very unlikely.
  • I wish that I had a big house (I don't have a big house, but it's a nice idea!).
  • I wish that we didn't need to work today (we do need to work today, unfortunately).
  • I wish that you lived close by (you don't live close by).
  • I wish that John wasn't busy tomorrow* (he is busy, unfortunately).
(*In formal writing, you will see 'were' instead of 'was' after wish. This is correct, but it's also fine to use 'was', in the same way as with the second conditional.
  • 'I wish I were rich' or 'I wish I was rich'.)

Rule of thumb




Can thumbs rule or can you literally rule a thumb? If you think about it logically, it means absolutely nothing and makes no sense. However, if you hear someone say as a rule of thumb, they mean that it’s a general unwritten rule for whatever they’re talking about.
These rules of thumb are not based on science or research, and are instead just a general principle. For example, there’s no written scientific rule that you must add oil to boiling water when cooking pasta, but it’s a rule of thumb and is practiced by most people so the pasta won’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
“As a rule of thumb you should always pay for your date’s dinner.”
“Why? There’s no rule stating that!”
“Yes, but it’s what all gentlemen do.”

https://www.englishpage.com/gerunds/gerunds_infinitives_16.htm





Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий